What product is this article for?
Best Practices for Creating Recipes Directions
A good standardized recipe should include:
Menu item name – the name of the given recipe that should be consistent with the name on the menu Total Yield – the number of servings, or portions that a recipe produces, and often the total weight or volume of the recipe
Portion size – amount or size of the individual portion
Ingredient list/quantity – exact quantities of each ingredient (with the exception of spices that may be added to taste)
Preparation procedures – Specific directions for the order of operations and types of operations (e.g., blend, fold, mix, sauté)
Cooking temperatures and times, including HACCP critical control points and limits to ensure the dish is cooked properly and safely
Special instructions, according to the standard format used in an operation
Service instructions, including hot/cold storage
Example Format for Recipe Directions
Yield 25 servings
Tyson WG Popcorn Chicken (1 bag)
Basic Mashed Potatoes (1 bag)
Corn (1 gallon)
Basic Brown Gravy (1 package)
- Place chicken on a lined tray and bake at 350 F for 15-18 minutes or until an internal temperature of 155 F or above.
- Mix mashed potatoes per directions on the bag.
- Steam corn in the steamer for 20-30 minutes or until heated through.
- Mix gravy per directions on the package.
- Hold all hot items at 145 F or above for service.
To Assemble for Service
In a #200 food tray, place 1/2 cup (#8 scoop) of potatoes. Add 2 fl oz of gravy, 2 oz (#16 scoop) corn, and 16 pieces of chicken on top of potatoes. Serve.