When adding ingredients to a recipe, there are two options when the nutritional override toggle is in the OFF position and three options when the nutritional override toggle is in the ON position for adding ingredients to the recipe. A description of what each button does and when to use it for adding ingredients to recipes is below:
- Advanced Search button - Searches items in local item database for products previously entered. When the item is located and selected from the Advanced Search, the menu planner will be taken to a detail page which looks similar to the detail page for the item as it is shown in the item database. The menu planner will need to add a recipe quantity into the weight and/or measure open field then add the item as an ingredient to the recipe.
- Use the Advanced Search button if you'd like to see the full item details (as shown in the item database) for the ingredient getting added to the recipe.
- Search Ingredient button - Searches items in local the item database for products previously entered. Item names entered into the search bar will return in line results which can be selected. Once the item is selected to be added as an ingredient to this recipe, the menu planner will need to enter the weight or measure for the recipe and click the add button.
- Use the Search Ingredient button to add ingredients to your recipe quickly and without needing to review all item details.
Note: The Advanced Search button and the Search Ingredient button perform similar functions. The difference is the amount of information you are able to see when adding the ingredient to the recipe. The Advanced Search button allows you to see more information and the Search Ingredient button allows you to add ingredients more efficiently.
- Add Ingredient button (this button will only be enabled when the nutrient override toggle is in the ON position) - Allows a menu planner to add an item to a recipe that isn't previously entered into the item database. Adding an item using the Add Ingredient button will not search the local item database for previously entered items. Ingredients added using the Add Ingredient button when the nutrient override toggle is in the ON position do not require that a menu planner enters nutritional information for this ingredient. Rather, the menu planner will enter the nutritional information for a full serving of the recipe in the Nutrients & Meal Components tab manually and this information will be displayed for the entire recipe instead of by ingredient.
- Use the Add Ingredient button when you don't know the nutritional information for each ingredient in a recipe but do know the nutritional information for a single serving of a recipe not broken out by ingredient.
Note: Using the Add Ingredient button is not the preferred method of adding ingredients to recipes as it does not use standardized data from GDSN. It is an option so menu planners are not limited to items in the local item database.